Dr. Bruce R. Gilbert is a Urologist who has been in Private Practice in Great Neck, Long Island, New York for the past 26 years. He specializes in complex microsurgical procedures for male fertility and male prosthetic surgery. He also treats both men and women with sexual function concerns.
Dr. Gilbert is Professor of Urology at the Hofstra North Shore LIJ Medical School and the Director of Reproductive and Sexual Medicine at the Smith Institute for Urology of the North Shore LIJ Health System. Dr. Gilbert has authored over 100 publications and is recognized as an expert in Male Fertility and Urologic Ultrasound. He edited and authored two nationally acclaimed textbooks on urologic ultraound. He is passionate about Urologic education and has organized training programs in microsurgery and urologic ultrasound as well as lectured locally, nationally and internationally.
Dr. Gilbert completed his medical degree in 1983 at Cornell University Medical College and Urology Residency at the New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center. Prior to that he completed a Doctorate (Ph.D.) at the New York Medical College followed by postdoctoral work in Renal Physiology supported by the New York Heart Association in the Department of Physiology at Cornell University Medical College.
Dr. Gilbert’s private practice for the past 26 years has specialized in male reproductive and sexual medicine and surgery including male prosthetic surgery. He is an experienced microsurgeon having performed over a 1000 microsurgical procedures including vasectomy reversals, microsurgical varicocele ligation and microsurgical testicular sperm retrieval. He is also was one of the first Urologists in the region to perform the no-needle, no-scalpel vasectomy. Dr. Gilbert is also the Medical and Laboratory Director of New York Cryo, one of the few long term reproductive tissue banks for sperm, oocytes and embryos in the region. Dr. Gilbert has also gained national prominence for his use of Holistic approaches for the treatment of chronic Urologic problems.
Dr. Gilbert is certified by the American Board of Urology and the American Board of Medical Acupuncture. He is a fellow of both the American College of Surgeons and The American Academy of Medical Acupuncture. He serves as a reviewer for many Urological, Reproductive Medicine and Complementary Medicine Journals. He has been selected as one of “America’s Top Physicians” and is listed in the “Guide to America’s Top Physicians” published by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, Washington, DC.
He is married with two children. He has a love of boating, continues to practice at golf and is an instrument rated pilot.
- Medicine and Surgery – New York State – 7/84
- Medical Acupuncture – New York State – 4/00
- American Board of Urology 2/91, re-certified 2/1999, 2/2010
- American Board of Bioanalysis 11/94
- American Board of Medical Acupuncture 4/02, re-certified 4/12
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow of the Society of Reproductive Surgeons (FSRS)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture (FAAMA)
- M.D. Cornell University Medical College, NY 6/83
- Ph.D. New York Medical College, NY 1/78
- Urology The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center 7/85 – 6/89
- Urology Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center 7/87 – 2/88
- Surgery Albert Einstein College Med – Montifiore Med. Ctr 7/83- 6/85
- The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
- The North Shore University Hospital-Manhasset, NY
- The North Shore University Hospital-Glen Cove, NY
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY
- Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY